Minimally Invasive heart surgery
New advancements in cardiac surgery are being made everyday - some of them right here at Beaumont. As the leader in minimally invasive heart surgery, Beaumont was first in the country to use a tiny catheter to replace an aortic valve. And the first in Michigan to correct atrial fibrillation robotically. Working together with the cardiology and vascular surgery department, the department of cardiac surgery offers a seamless transition from one stage in your cardiovascular care to the next. The world's most advanced technology and most experienced surgeons and cardiologists are right here.
Cardiac Surgery Excellence at Beaumont
Here are key highlights of Beaumont's cardiac surgery program:
- Beaumont is a national training center for minimally invasive surgery, heart rhythm surgery and heart valvular repair.
- Beaumont is a leader in minimally invasive surgery and is the first in the world to perform a transcather aortic valve implantation.
- Beaumont is a leader in surgery for congestive heart failure.
- Beaumont now offers stent grafts for thoracic aneurysms.
- Beaumont surgeons have performed over 4,000 cases of endoscopic vein harvesting.
- Beaumont Hospital is #1 in the world in the use of new mini-circuit heart-lung machines. These machines minimize patient stroke risk and transfusion requirements following bypass surgery.
- Because of innovative practice and quality outcomes in valve surgery, Beaumont is the first hospital to implant the latest generation heart valves as selected by the valve industry.
- Beaumont continues to be a leader and a participant in the state of Michigan in assuring quality cardiac care and involved in programs to promote constant improvement in cardiac surgical care.
Using the latest diagnostic techniques and surgeries, the cardiac surgeons at Beaumont offer up-to-the-minute medical treatment for even the most difficult diagnosis. Named one of the top hospitals in the United States by U.S. News & World Report for the treatment of cardiovascular disease, Beaumont provides cardiac patients with life-saving procedures and techniques.
With a national reputation for excellence and treatment options tailored to fit your cardiac needs, you can count on the Beaumont cardiac team to help you recover from your surgery. And offering open-heart surgery at the Royal Oak and Troy hospitals gives you more care options than ever before.
Beaumont is a pioneer in the latest cardiovascular technologies and innovative, minimally-invasive techniques. By using smaller incisions for open-heart procedures, our surgeons reduce risk and recovery time. As one of the few hospitals doing minimally-invasive cardiac surgery, Beaumont stays abreast of the latest medical breakthroughs in order to give our patients the best care possible.
The following is a list of some of the major cardiovascular procedures performed at Beaumont:
- Cardiac Valve Surgery (minimally invasive or traditional valve surgery)
- Mitral Valve Repair
- Mitral Valve Replacement
- Aortic Valve Replacement
- Tricuspid Valve Replacement
- Aortic Aneurysm (traditional or minimally invasive surgery)
- Stent grafts
- abdominal aortic aneurysm repair
- thoracic aortic aneursym repair (Left Ventrical Restoration Repair)
- Coronary Artery Bypass (CABG)
- MAZE Procedure for the treatment of atrial fibrillation
Beaumont is currently collecting data on all general thoracic surgery cases at Royal Oak and Troy with the objective of comparing data results with national benchmarks for general thoracic and cardiovascular surgery. This is being done through the Society of Thoracic Surgery - STS General Thoracic & Cardiovascular. Future plans call for ongoing participation with STS and a continuation with the BCBS project for cardiovascular surgery. Quality initiatives are through the Michigan Society of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeons.
Other areas of cardiac surgery excellence include:
CABG Mortality Rates Lower than National Benchmark
Pioneering Minimally Invasive Cardiopulmonary Bypass
Treatments of Complex Aortic Diseases Including Minimally Invasive Surgery
Isolated Mitral Valve Repair Uses Minimally Invasive Approach
SO, WHEN YOU'RE CHOOSING A HEART HOSPITAL... WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU GO ANYWHERE ELSE? DO YOU HAVE A BEAUMONT DOCTOR?TM
Beaumont, Royal Oak and Troy have earned a three-star rating from the Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) for their quality measures related to cardiac surgery. Of the 1,000 STS participating hospitals, only 12-15% received the three-star rating, the highest rating possible.
Out-of-Town Patients & Visitors
Need help coordinating your care and travel arrangements? Let our Guest Services team help.